PO Box 517
Raleigh, MS 39153
The Smith County Circuit Clerk is elected at large for a 4-year term. The Clerk provides a variety of services to the Circuit and County Courts as well as to the public.
Circuit and County Courts:
- Keep a general court docket in which all names and parties in each case, plea, indictment, records from inferior courts on appeal, and other papers are entered.
- Keep orders of the court which are referenced in the minute book.
- Keep the execution docket
- Enter a full and complete record of the proceedings of the suit
Election Process/Voter Registration – Administrative Duties:
- Serve as a registrar for voters in the county
- Collect a filing fee from candidates pursuing a county office or legislative seat within the county Election Information (Results, candidates, etc.)
- Notify citizens who have been selected to serve on jury duty
- Prepare a jury list for the attorneys
- Familiarize jurors with the courthouse
- Receive and file all documents during trials
- Issue subpoenas
- Jury instructions given by the judge
- Receive verdicts of jurors and read them in open court
- Issue jurors a county warrant (check) and certificate of service (if needed)
- File a Statistical Record of Marriage with the office of vital records with the state board of health
- Issue the marriage license
- Collect, from applicant, a filing fee of $21 per marriage record prepared