You need to come to the Tax Assessor’s Office and sign a “Request to Delete Homestead” form.
FAQ Category: Homestead Exemption
Do I have to re-file every year?
No, unless any of the following apply to you:
- Change in ownership or occupancy of the home.
- Purchase of additional property that may be eligible.
- Divorced or deceased spouse.
- Either owner had 65th birthday in previous year.
- Either owner became totally disabled in previous year.
Where do I go to apply for homestead?
Applications are taken January 2nd (or first work day of New Year) through April 1st, at the Tax Collector/Assessor’s Office.
When is the deadline for applying for homestead?
April 1st of the year AFTER you move into your home.
What is the special or over-65 homestead exemption and who qualifies?
The special or over-65 exemption is for homeowners who became disabled or turned 65 years old during the prior year. It exempts the first 75,000.00 of true value from taxation.
Who qualifies for the homestead exemption and how do I apply?
Contact the Tax Assessor/Collector Office.